Saturday 20 March 2021

The St Patrick's Binge, Food Diary



After scoffing all the chocolate I promise myself that it won't happen again. It's just a tiny setback because, you know, it's around St Patrick's Day which always falls within lent so. It's all out of the system now and I can go back to cooking and looking after myself. Like I have been doing over the past few months.

I'll use the vegetables to make salad and I'll make some dahl and lentil soup. 

Full of good intentions I go and meet my friend for a catch up outside of the ice-cream parlour. We have a coffee and chat the clouds out of the sky.

"So what's for dinner tonight?" she asks as I get up to go home.

"Oh I don't know," I say, "I bought chocolate yesterday and then went home and ate the lot. So I'm going to try and -"

I know that whatever it is I was planning to say is going to be a lie.

"I'm going to try and do better. But I think that's not going to happen."

Before heading off to the chipper I sneak into the Londis, they've got bags of sweets for a euro. I buy three packets and some chocolate after which I keep walking along until I come to the turn that'll bring me up around the back of the house and where my favourite chipper trades.

"How can I help you?"

"Oh... let me see... Yeah. May I have a Chips cheese and garlic and five tenders with BBQ sauce please?"

Honestly, I haven't been in here for at least two months. I gave up on the fast food. I was not going to spend money on people deep-frying things for me anymore. But here I am joking with the guy behind me in the queue about having the wrong glasses on his head. 

"You can borrow mine," I say. And we both chuckle as he tries and read the menu with his prescription sunglasses.

I'm handed the brown bag with my haul in it and I turn up the hill.

Hootch with chocolate after a large feed of chicken and chips. So nothing has really changed.

"Tomorrow," I say to the cat as I put down the empty box with garlic sauce all over the sides.
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment